REPORTS TO: Senior Manager of Political and Government Affairs
HOURS: 16-24 hours/week.
COMPENSATION: Compensation is provided for applicants who are unable to secure outside funding and transportation assistance will be provided.
The National Institute for Reproductive Health promotes reproductive rights and expand access to reproductive health care in New York and in cities and states across the country. The National Institute for Reproductive Health works through a partnership model in cities and states across the U.S. to promote a proactive and unapologetic approach to reproductive health, rights, and justice. Through strategic risk-taking and a focus on long-term change, the National Institute galvanizes public support, changes public policy, and expands access to reproductive health care, with a specific focus on abortion. By building connections between and among partner organizations, developing proactive policy strategies, and providing capacity-building assistance, we are strengthening local and state movements, and thus shifting the culture on the national level.
The Political Intern is responsible for supporting the National Institute for Reproductive Health and NIRH Action Fund’s legislative advocacy and electoral strategy to advance reproductive rights in New York State.
This internship is intended for undergraduate students looking to expand their political knowledge and skills.
- Research state and local candidates running for office throughout New York City and New York State.
- Research lawmakers and legislation. Advise political staff on findings.
- Assist in the creation of educational materials for activists and lawmakers.
- Utilize and maintain databases.
- Work with political staff to engage our supporters in advocacy campaigns and events.
- Help plan and attend public outreach activities including tabling, phone banking, and petition collection.
- Passion for social justice and reproductive rights.
- A strong interest in the legislative and political processes, as well as grassroots organizing and volunteer coordination.
- Eagerness to learn.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Comfortable doing outreach over the phone.
- Confidence in using Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
TO APPLY: Submit a resume and cover letter to with the subject “NYS Political Intern” to [email protected]
The National Institute for Reproductive Health is an equal opportunity employer. NIRH strives to build and support an equitable work community that attracts, develops, and retains exceptional people. As a member of the reproductive freedom movement, NIRH aims to foster leadership and raise the voices of historically marginalized people, including but not limited to Black people and people of color, indigenous/native peoples, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people, disabled/differently abled people, immigrants, and low income people. We strongly encourage candidates of these and other diverse backgrounds to apply.