Declaring Abortion Provider Appreciation Day in Your Community: A Proclamation Toolkit is a new resource from NIRH and our partners Abortion Care Network (ACN) and the National Network of Abortion Funds (NNAF). Advocates, organizers, abortion providers, and staff and volunteers at abortion clinics can use this toolkit to learn more about working with their local government to pass a proclamation officially recognizing March 10 as Abortion Provider Appreciation Day.
An Abortion Provider Appreciation Day proclamation provides an opportunity to recognize the essential work abortion providers do in their local communities every day, which can sometimes get lost when much of the public’s attention is turned toward national issues and events. The toolkit offers guidance on how to effectively advocate for the passage of a proclamation (no small feat!) and do more than just get the votes for passage. Abortion Provider Appreciation Day can also be an opportunity to:
- Educate, engage, and build relationships with local officials about access to abortion and how it impacts their locality.
- Educate their community about who their local abortion providers are and how they can support them.
- Build power locally to strengthen support for abortion providers and access to abortion.
- Increase media coverage and awareness of Abortion Provider Appreciation Day.
- Combat abortion stigma and shift the conversation about abortion to be positive and affirming of patients and providers.
- Celebrate abortion providers!