State Strategies Manager
The National Institute for Reproductive Health works across the country to increase access to reproductive health care by changing public policy, galvanizing public support, and normalizing women’s decisions to have abortions and use contraception.
Believing that a bottom-up strategy is necessary to create lasting change, we work through a partnership model, building connections between and among partner organizations at the local, state, and national levels and providing support in the form of funding, capacity building, strategic guidance, and technical assistance. We encourage and support our partners in taking calculated risks, pursuing bold strategies, and developing innovative, proactive approaches to expand access to reproductive health care, including abortion.
The National Institute’s partnership work is supplemented with independent research, original reports, educational campaigns, and signature initiatives, including our nationally recognized youth leadership and peer education program, TORCH. By working to strengthen local and state movements to secure access to reproductive health care, we create lasting impact on the national level.
The National Institute’ sister organization, NARAL Pro-Choice New York (NPCNY), is a 501(c)4 organization, with an affiliated political action committee, which engages in legislative and policy advocacy and electoral strategy to protect reproductive choice in New York State. NPCNY provides support to pro-choice elected officials working to pass proactive, pro-choice legislation and defeat anti-choice initiatives. NPCNY works to elect pro-choice officials and hold them accountable to our mission.
State Strategies Manager
The State Strategies Manager will be part of the National Institute’s Policy & Strategic Partnerships team, building the capacity of state and local partners by providing hands-on strategic guidance and technical assistance to organizations throughout the country working to advance reproductive health, rights, and justice. The State Strategies Manager will work closely with the Associate Director of State Initiatives to support the Partnerships program by working with state and national partners to develop and coordinate state-level strategies and campaigns, including the development and advancement of proactive policy and advocacy opportunities.
The State Strategies Manager reports directly to the Associate Director of State Initiatives and will be located in New York, NY.
- Provide strategic advice to state partners to assist their state-based advocacy, build effective coalitions, and strengthen their organizational capacity.
- Support Associate Director in managing project timelines, work plans, and technical assistance for state initiatives.
- Participate in coalitions as needed, and develop relationships with allies and other organizations to further advocacy goals.
- Support the Associate Director and Policy & Strategic Partnerships team on program matters as needed, including collecting and sharing best practices, developing strategies and tools for advocacy and public engagement, and supporting capacity-building programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree required and 3-5 years of relevant work experience, with preference given to advocacy or campaign experience.
- Strong commitment to the National Institute’s missions and values.
- Experience with reproductive rights and justice issues, or a familiarity with other issues relating to women’s health and equality is highly desirable. Experience working with communities of color preferred.
- Strong writing and communications skills a must.
- Experience with research and messaging a plus.
- Ability to work independently, while also collaborating in a team setting.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and operate calmly under pressure.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, appreciation for different viewpoints, and a talent for working well with diverse people and organizations.
- Travel is required.
Salary will be commensurate with background and experience. The National Institute/NPCNY offers an excellent benefit package.
Email a thoughtful cover letter, resume and salary requirements to [email protected] with “State Strategies Manager” in the subject line. Alternatively, you may mail your application package to Director of Human Resources, National Institute for Reproductive Health, 470 Park Avenue South – 7th Floor, New York, NY 10016. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
NPCNY/The National Institute is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities and LGBTQ individuals to apply.