The National Institute for Reproductive Health and NARAL Pro-Choice New York are partner organizations that promote reproductive rights and expand access to reproductive health care in New York and in cities and states across the country. NARAL Pro-Choice New York works politically and legislatively in New York and the National Institute partners with organizations on the ground in other cities and states across the country. NARAL Pro-Choice New York’s state and local advocacy, coalition-building, and organizing experience informs – and is influenced by – the National Institute’s partnerships with advocates in other states and cities across the country. We apply lessons learned in New York to efforts in politically similar states and tailor our strategies to secure wins in politically dissimilar states.
The ideal candidate is creative, energetic, self-motivated and has a strong commitment to the goals of the organization. The candidate should have experience creating field plans, developing base building strategies, implementing online and offline organizing, and with volunteer recruitment/management. This person will support the organization’s legislative, political and community education goals by building a strong, educated base of supporters throughout New York State. This position reports to the Director of Political and Government Affairs.
- Develop and lead execution of a long-term base-building plan to recruit, train, and sustain a statewide base of activists – with a focus on geographies outside of New York City.
- Create and implement grassroots campaigns to support the organization’s legislative, political and base-building initiatives.
- Plan and manage electoral field campaign in districts across the state.
- Work with the advocacy and communications teams to develop online campaigns that engage current supporters and recruit new supporters to participate in the organization’s advocacy campaigns.
- Create and lead events that serve our organizational base-building and advocacy goals.
- Ensure data about activists is kept current in organizational databases by ensuring new contacts are immediately added, contact records are maintained and results are tracked.
- Build and manage a statewide campus program.
- Serve as point on national State Infrastructure Project.
- Primary contact with outside consultants on all field and basebuilding activities.
- Provide input on: data management, basebuilding planning and political strategy as necessary.
- Periodic travel to partner states.
- Create leadership opportunities for activists that provide opportunities for responsibility, skills development, and ownership of the work.
- Represent the organization at community events that raise the visibility of and educate the public on reproductive health and rights issues.
- Assist in developing materials for activist education and mobilization.
- Supervise Grassroots Organizer.
- Additional duties/responsibilities as assigned.
- A deep commitment to reproductive health and rights.
- 4-5 years of relevant experience organizing for political or issue campaigns.
- Experience managing field operations including supporter identification, online engagement, and data analytics.
- Understanding of legislative and political process essential.
- Experience supervising grassroots organizers.
- Strong communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, including exceptional attention to detail, a demonstrated ability to work as part of a team, and the ability to inspire others to work hard.
- Must be able to work nights and weekends with a flexible schedule and an eagerness to travel.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in voter management systems (i.e. VAN, Catalist, etc.), online advocacy tools, predictive dialer systems, MS Word and Excel.
Salary will be commensurate with background and experience. NPCNY/NIRH offers an excellent benefit package.
Send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to [email protected] with “Field and Organizing Manager” in the subject line. Or mail your application to Director of Human Resources, NPCNY/NIRH, 470 Park Avenue South, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10016.